RCA Performance Coach is best suited for coaches interested in working with rowers moving into university and national competitions and rowers preparing to enter development competitions internationally (e.g. Canada Games, National Rowing Championships, CanAmMex, etc.). You would coach individuals who are in the Learn to Compete and Train to Compete stages of Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD). Check our coaching calendar to see when the RCA Performance Coach Workshop is being held – Row NS Coaching Calendar.
How Do You Become Certified?
Step 1 – Become Trained –Complete the RCA Performance Coach Workshop hosted at the RCA Conference. Next complete the NCCP multi-sport modules outlined in the pathway below. Finally, build your portfolio.
Step 2 – Become Certified –Once you have gained experience coaching appropriate athletes using what you have learned in the RCA Performance Coach Workshop and feel you are prepared to be evaluated, submit the evaluation request below.
In order to be evaluated you will need to have the following completed:
1. RCA Performance Coach Workshop
2. Coaching Leading Effectively – multi-sport module
3. Managing Conflict – multi-sport module
4. Leading Drug-Free Sport – multi-sport module
5. Psychology of Performance – multi-sport module
6. Developing Athletic Ability – multi-sport module
7. Prevention and Recovery – multi-sport module
8. Make Ethical Decisions (MED) – multi-sport module
9. Obtain a Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC)
10. Emergency Action Plan
Once these are complete you are ready for your evaluation which encompasses three parts 1. Online evaluation of MED, Managing Conflict and Leading Drag-Free Sport; 2. Portfolio Evaluation; 3. Direct observations of your ability to conduct training (on water and dryland), at a selection event, and at competition.